Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Single Parent Conference- Apsen Grove


In January my bishop gave me an invitation to a conference sponsored by the church and BYU. The conference was this past weekend. It was held at Aspen Grove. I had never been and it was BEAUTIFUL. Although, It was a bit rough getting the weekend started. I had picked up Madilyn and Brielle at the daycare ready to have a blast with the kids all weekend. When I got there Madilyn was in different clothes, they told me she had just puked on her teacher. What? Heavenly Father had given us this opportunity for free, and she gets sick whats up with that? I figured I had to try. I drove to Aspen Grove, it was amazing. I love the mountains. I checked in and drove to the cabin we were assigned. It was a large cabin with at least 8 bedrooms. They had given us 2 bedrooms, one with a queen bed for me, and the other with bunkbeds for the kids. As the kids explored Madilyn puked all over. We had only been there five minutes AAAHHHAAAHHH!
I through her in the tub and she kept puking. I figured I'd be spending the weekend in the cabin, at least we were in the mountains. I didn't know what was planned for the other kids or where I was to take them. We were already late for orientation and dinner. I phoned my mom who is always a supportive ear. Even when I cry, talk, talk cry she acts like she knows what i am saying and really tries hard to help. She was in Phoenix for Regans graduation (congrats to him). I felt stuck. I was trying to give my kids some memories and fun times. Shaylee hates to see me cry, I keep telling her it's ok to cry but she seems to think it isn't. We phoned Marco's parents who didn't answer. We sat in the cabin talking to another mother. Each cabin had 4 families. This nice lady arranged for a late dinner, and tried to round up someone to give Madilyn a blessing. After a couple hours had passed and my phone rang. It was Marco's parents. I began to cry (again) trying to explain the situation. Without even letting me finish they said Where are You? we'll be right there. I cannot tell you how much I appreciate the love and support they give me. With in 40 minutes they arrived, scooped madilyn up, and told us to enjoy our weekend. But what about, meds, puking, crying? "Janet, we have had sick kids before. Go, we will take care of it." Thanks Nach, Karen I love you!

After that we enjoyed one of the funnest weekend I have ever had. They had classes for the kids, classes for the parents, time and activities for the families. Not to brag but our team came in FIRST place overall in the outdoor Olympics! Ya Baby. Go Incredibles!



One of the funnest things I did was make a pot on a pottery wheel. That has always been a dream of mine. They had a class on "getting back into dating" I went, stayed for ten minutes, got scared and ran. I decided to do something that was a fun kind of scary and climbed 75 feet up into the trees, climbed through on only a wire, and repelled down. Now that is my kind of fun.

I enjoyed spending some true quality time with my kids. I left feeling no so alone. Many people have been through much more than I have and I appreciate the Lord watching out for me.




9 comments:

Diana said...

You got me all teary eyed. I am so glad you had fun. I love you and I love Marco's parents.

kelliemcc said...

I had a little tear myself! Glad you had a good time, and please remember I am always home and would be delighted to help you out!

Emily H said...

It sounds like you guys had a ball! How nice of Marco's parents.

Joe said...

Janet, throw-ups are the worst. I hope Madilyn is doing better. I'm glad you were still able to have such a fun weekend.

Michael and Kari said...

Hey Janet -
I'm glad it all ended up working out. I hate puke! Its nice Marco's parents are so supportive!

Cara said...

There's nothing like puke to make a Mom cry! Why is it they always puke at the worst times ever?? Next time, call me....I'm so used to throw up (how sad is that?)I'm so glad it all turned out ok. Thank goodness for Grandparents! I'm so glad you were able to get away and enjoy yourselves.

Also, thanks for the sweet words to me. I totally could've used a hug. Take care.

Jeanine said...

I am so glad that you guys got to have a fun weekend adventure! I was touched to hear that story! I am glad that there are so many people around who love and care about us (even the cute Mom who stayed to help you! :) Love you much,
J9

Jeff Harris said...

What precious people Marco's folks are. So glad everything worked out so you could stay. You are an inspiration to me, Janet. Love, Aunt Janet

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a really neat time. Your girls sure are growing up! Wish we could be closer.