Thursday, November 6, 2008

Touched by two Angels

I attended a funeral this week of a friend of mine, Scott Gifford. Similar to my father, he was 51 when he passed away. The viewing was held at the same place as my fathers. I had so many memories flash back to me, as well as the love I have for my Father. Scotts children paid amazing tribute to him through their talks, and songs. I remember the stregnth it took to speak at my fathers funeral, and I was very proud of them.

There was a quote in the funeral program that I have not been able to get out of my head this week. It has given me stregnth and I will continue to read it frequently through lifes trials.

"Imagine yourself as a living house. God comes in to rebuild that house. At first, perhaps, you can understand what He is doing. He is getting the drains right and stopping the leaks in the roof and so on: you knew that those jobs needed doing and so you are not surprised. But presently he starts knocking the house about in a way that hurts abominably and does not make sense. What on earth is He up to? The explanation is that He is building quite a different house from the one you thought of- throwing out a new wing here, putting on an extra floor there, running up towers, making courtyards. You thought you were going to be made into a decent little cottage: but He is building a palace. He intends to come and live in it Himself."
C.S. Lewis--

I really hope Scott and my Dad have met up in heaven. They would get along great.
Love you Daddy! Thanks for your life example Scott!

5 comments:

Jeanine said...

That post just touched my heart too. I am glad you wrote about that experience. I love you!

Diana said...

So sweet. It brings little pitters to my heart. What a cool poem. I love you.

Brandelena said...

Janet, I just told Jennifer I have thought a lot about your dad lately:) He was loved by all!

Renee said...

Great, now we can stalk each other! You are too funny! Your blog looks great. Some people don't like funerals but I usually leave feeling so uplifted. Sounds like a very neat man!

Cara said...

That is so sweet. I have a song written by Carrie Maxwell Wrigley about that very topic. I just sent you an email with it. It's called Under Construction.