Saturday, November 15, 2008

Full Disclosure- Balance- A Must

I have a passion for Balance in my life. Over the years I have found many things that work for me enabling me to accomplish all the things that I need to get done. I have compiled a list of things titled. "How to Juggle Life with out Feeling like you're in a Circus."
I will add a few items at a time and hope they may come in handy.


  1. Keep a note pad and pen in the car. It will come in handy to track thoughts, ideas, and things that need to be added to your to-do list. This can help in several ways. It helps keep track of your to-do list, and it also helps release tension, many times writing down thoughts can emotionally help us release stress and move forward.
  2. Layout the kids clothes the night before. Choose two outfits, then if the child is having a difficult morning having a choice can help them feel more in control and be cooperative.

Most of the time I am hard on myself and am my own worst critic. So, I thought along with a section on Juggling, I would add a section called: What I like about Myself.

  1. What I like about myself? I like that I can look back at experiences and mistakes and learn from them. I have proof. I come from a family of 6 girls and one Boy. As young girl I earned my money babysitting and delivering newspapers (got fired, good story but different post). One evening I was babysitting for a neighbor. As I got the baby ready for bed I placed the baby on the changing table and began to change his diaper. To this day I can still feel how I felt. I looked away and as I looked back a shot of fear and panic filled my body. The top of the babies penis had fallen off. I was frantic, where did it go? I lifted the baby to see if it had fallen in the diaper, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I kept looking and looking I got on my hands and knees and crawled around on the floor to search under and behind the changing table for the little nubben. I am not certain what I thought I would do with it if I did find it, but I did know that good babysitters don't loose penis parts. In tears I called my mom wondering how I was going to explain this to the parents. IT was then that she chose to tell me things I should have known much sooner than 13 or 14 years of age (like some boys are circumcised and the skin covers the tip of their penis) . I have learned from this and am very verbal and vocal with my children so they know everything there is to know. I may teach them too much, but I would rather over educate.
  2. What else do I like about myself? I like my optimistic attitude and approach to life. I seem to be able to see the bright side of situations. I have proof. I was reminded of a story that made me laugh all day today. I was newly pregnant with my first child. At the time I drove a two door Ford Focus, a luxury car compared to what I was used to. I knew a car with four doors would come in handy with a new baby, so I put my car up for sale. I had posted it at work, and the local stores with no takers. I then placed an ad in the Thrify Nickel. I had several calls and interest peaked. A co-worker asked "How is it going selling your car?" "Great" I responded. "I have a very interested couple who have looked at it 4 times." "Wow, Four times" I explained how this cute Asian couple just couldn't decide. They didn't have a car so it was necessary that i take it to them to see it. When they first saw it the wife was afraid to drive a stick shift so she asked if I would drive over to BYU and show her husband. So, I loaded her and her child in the car and drove so he could see the car. The husband drove around for a bit and then returned home to Y-mount Terrace. I was excited because their interest increased each day. The wife never wanted to drive a stick shift so each time it became necessary to find the husband so he could drive it.

    My coworker started laughing and said Janet they will never buy the car, they probably just need rides home from school. She was right they never did buy the car. I called to confront them to express my feelings of being used for rides with no true interest in ever buying the car. They apologized, and I learned a huge lesson.

    One to Two time conned into giving rides to poor students, shame on them.

    Four to Five times conned into giving rides to poor students, shame on me.

7 comments:

Renee said...

What a great post! Thanks for the uplifting info...we are all suckers some time in life. That is a very funny story about your generous offer for "rides". You are truly and amazing person and your girls are lucky to have you! Good luck with that juggling!

kelliemcc said...

I don't think I have heard these stories, I laughed so hard! Your so wonderful and such a great mom! I'm going to tell all my asian friends that you give free rides.
P.S. cute halloween costumes and Happy Birthday Shaylee!!!

Jeanine said...

I love that story about you babysitting...I remember you telling me that story. But it makes me laugh, because I can relate.

Brenna LaPray said...

I'm still laughing about your babysitting story! I had to come back and read it again. It is so you and so funny! It was so good to talk to you the other day. I hope to see you soon.

FamilyMoe said...

Better to be a "sucker" than hard and callous to the world my friend...which is why I love ya! BTW...LOVE the penis story, I'm still laughing :)

Michael and Kari said...

Ha! You've got some funny stories to share! It was nice to see you Tues, even if we didn't get much of a chance to visit! I hope you're doing alright!

Cara said...

Marvelous post! I am still laughing at the penis story!!!! Great tips and reminders...thanks! You are incredibly amazing and such an example to everyone around you....especially me.