As I sat with the girls and ATTEMPTED to map out some goals for the coming year I realized the new year is too dang close to Christmas. These are the responses I received.
- Shaylee: Play more
- Brielle: Play with my toys
- Madilyn: What ever Brielle said
After some explaining, probing, and coaching they each have a goal for this coming year.
- Shaylee: Read more, and be nicer to my sister
- Brielle: Be nicer to my sister, and stop sucking my thumb before kindergarten
- Madilyn: Play and what ever Brielle said.
I have been lucky enough to have a child born at the beginning, middle, and end of the month. This has allowed me to schedule some "Dates" with the girls each month. I schedule it so I know I won't miss or forget it. For example: If Shaylee was born on the 10th then she knows on the 10th of every month we get some alone time. I use this time to talk. Each child has different needs, wants, and dreams. As a parent, I feel it essential to their growth to know them as individuals. I let them talk about any concerns they may be having in their life with friends, or with our family situation. I ask them what I can do better to be a better Mom, and generally enjoy their sweet responses. I also try to slip in some ideas on what they can do to support our family as well.
My goal to is to keep having "Dates" with the girls and then establish other goals as things are brought up and talked about. I have been continually amazed at the way children perceive situations and know I have my work cut out for me throughout this year. We have challenges and adjustments in the near future that will create great learning opportunities for all of us. I feel most effective as a parent as I slow down to listen, and enjoy each and every moment. If I take the time to truly listen to the person/child in front of me I am connected with myself and the spirit to respond in a way that is appropriate and will most benefit the child and situation. I feel such an accountability to my girls, to raise them the best way I know how. They are beautiful spirits and deserve to be taught. This world needs strong women with values, with virtue, with strength both inside and out. I strive to show and share with my girls the beauty of the world and the beauty of womanhood. May one ounce of my love and teaching sink in and I pray I do enough, because they deserve it all.
May 2009 be a year of growth, peace, and FUN!!




7 comments:
Janet you are a wonderful example of a mother. I am amazed at all your do and how you think through everything that you do.I am glad that I am your friend and can learn from you. Thanks!
Your an awesome mom. Your girls are lucky to have you. Keep it up.
Thanks for the wonderful idea! I think I will set a goal to do the same! You are a great mom!
Do you have any idea what an amazing mom you are?
You are so amazing and so inspiring. I love you so much. You have ALWAYS been my greatest example. Thank you for that.
THanks for sharing this post. I loved your inspiration to be with your girls and the dates once a month what a great thing you are doing. Sure love you!
You amaze me, as always! I sure do miss you. I loved the time we were able to spend together the last few weeks. You inspire me! much love to ya :)
Post a Comment